Saturday, November 9, 2013

CwW Spotlight Wing Liang


Wing Liang, CEO, Android-USA
When you talk about which watch designs are the best in the timepiece community, you have to talk about CEO and chief designer of Android-USA, Wing Liang. Clean lines, and innovative materials make him one of the most sought after watch architects in the industry. His love for watchmaking is clear and his passion is unmatched.

Q: Tell us a bit about your background.

A: I came from no design background and got a degree in International Business. I learned about watches on my own from reading books, visit factories, learn from my in house watch makers. I always believe if you love something so much you will find ways to learn it. Started Android in Sept 1991 that was the second year in University. That was the beginning of Android.

Q: What is the first watch you bought yourself?

A: I remember I had two watches that my mom bought me. It was a digital Citizen and a quartz Alba dive watch with day/date.

Q: You have a motto at Android; 'Building into the future, while respecting the past'. What does that mean to you and how does it get implemented in the timepieces you design for Android?

A: Watches have been around for a few hundred years. For mechanical watches, the architecture is the same but the materials have been improved with better accuracy and better liability.

I am designing watches with the Android touch and today machinery.

Android Flying Dragon
Q: At CwW, we have a phrase we use for the watch we go to when no other piece in our collection works. We call this watch our 'Daily Default' or DD. What is your daily default?

A: Virtuoso Tungsten T-100 Automatic Flying Tourbillon. I wear this watch everyday. At the moment this is my favorite.

Q: You are notoriously detail oriented. What drives you everyday to make the best timepieces you possibly can?

A: I am my own enemy. In my mind I am constantly want to improve and create the next best watch.

Q: If you HAD to choose only one watch to live with for the rest of your life, what would it be?

A: The Virtuoso collection I could live forever with it. Tungsten, sapphire, tritium, mechanical movements the best combination.
Android Hydraumatic Automatic Flying Tourbillon

Q: Android watches, in our opinion, are some of the coolest designed timepieces on the market. How do you maintain an expensive aesthetic, all while making them affordable for collectors?

A: I think about the Android collectors and make sure the prices are reasonable within their budget.



Q: What is one thing, you are comfortable sharing with us of course, that not many people know about you.

A: I live a very simple life. My work and family are the most important.


Thank you so much for taking the time, Mr. Liang!  


2 comments:

  1. Thank you CwW for bringing another great interview with someone from "the community." Nice to get to know these guys on a personal level and, of course, learning about their watch lines. You are doing a cool thing there at CwW....keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! So glad you're enjoying..,more to come!!

      Delete